This is where corona treatment comes in for metals, foils, and metallized films. Corona treatment works by exposing the surface of the material to a high voltage electrical discharge, which ionizes the air and generates a corona discharge. This modification increases the surface energy and improves the wettability and adhesion properties of the surface. This allows for better treatment with inks, coatings, and other materials.
The benefits of corona treatment for metals, foils, and metallized films include:
- Removal of foil surface oxide layers
- Removal of organic surface contaminations
- Increase in film polarity prior to metallization
- Improvement in foil grain definition/adhesive anchorage
- Removal of hydrocarbon contamination on metals prior to painting
- Improved adhesion of inks, coatings, and other materials to the surface of the material.
- Enhanced printability, making it easier to print on the surface of the material.
- Improved surface cleanliness, which reduces the risk of contamination and other issues that can impact product quality.
- Improved surface uniformity, which can result in more consistent coating thickness and improved product appearance.
- Reduced need for primers, which can reduce costs and simplify the coating process.
Corona treatment can be used on a wide range of metals, foils, and metallized films, including aluminum, copper, and other metals, as well as metallized films used in packaging and other industries.
If you’re interested in more information about corona treatment stations from Pillar Technologies, don’t hesitate to contact us today. Our team will work with you to determine the best corona treatment configuration for your needs.